Monday, March 9, 2009

The Guang dong Museum of Folk Handicrafts










Temperature: High 63 Low61 - Cloudy (Dan, I see via weather.com it isn't easy bringing the dogs back to the warm, rainy, MUDDY 3007 Rainbow Lane! Good luck with Champ and Harley-Man!)





By the way, if you are wondering about the time change, Guangzhou, China, is 13 hours ahead of Cleveland, Ohio. So, I am typing away here at 2pm and you are, hopefully, snuggly in bed at 1am. (Which reminds me...Madison and Abby - are you finished with all your homework? Tee heeee!)



It's another nice day in China. We spent the morning on a tour of the Guang dong Museum of Folk Handicrafts. I have to admit, I was thinking I would rather hang out in the hotel, as Johnny slept in this morning. But, I stayed true to my reason to be here - to learn and experience as much of John's homeland as possible! How could I refuse another walk with our new son and brother? "Let's go!!!"


There was a great gift shop here, and I did some mild monetary damage. Hey, to have souvenirs, I gotta spend some money. Within the shop, we had a little tea party. They served oolong and jasmine teas. I especially enjoyed the jasmine tea, so I bought a few 'pods' of it. It's rather cool (should have taken a picture...) because they plunk a pod into a pot of boiling water and it more or less 'blooms' within the pot. A flower comes out and everything! Here is a shot of Mr. Zhou - our fearless leader from the adoption center - distributing the tea.







Along with selling great stuff, the museum itself had amazingly beautiful, carved features along the rooflines and walls themselves. Hopefully, you are able to click on these pictures and zoom-in. A photo really doesn't do this justice!













There were gardens and galleries. Fortunately, we only had an hour and my ability to cause too much 'monetary' damage was limited!



On our way back we grabbed some food at McDonald's. (Adam, buddy, I got a Spider Man action figure for you. It's not the same one as yours that lost it's head, but I'm sure you'll like it!) Little did I know I ordered a children's happy meal. I just thought I was getting a cheeseburger, but I guess I pointed to the Chinese word for happy meal!!! Oops!



I had to post this adorable little picture of one of the 2-1/2 year old adopted little girls trying to eat some type of noodle dish with some chopsticks. This is Quinn. From what I understand when the family brought her to her first breakfast, she grabbed two spoons and tried to use the 'non-spoon ends' as chopsticks! How darling is that???






All these kids are darling! Come to think of it, Dan, are you at all interested in doing this again? I think Madison, Abby, Adam and Johnny need another sibling! (As Adam would say, "HA! Juuuuust trickin!")






At that I'll close. Madison, this one is for you. Just think "Mufasa" from "The Lion King".




And, Abbykins, this one is for you! I love you guys more than life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment